Instructions

Hello Seventh Period!

For your ORB written assignment, I am requiring you to make three postings about your ORB to this blog. You must choose three different options from the "blogging options" handout (on First Class). I am looking for superb commentary, which should make obvious why your ORB "educates your conscience."

Please, adhere to the expectations explained on the rubric (also on First Class).

Happy blogging!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Phileas Fogg – Character Sketch

When I first started reading about Phileas Fogg he seemed like an automaton to me. He was ALWAYS right on time and he always stuck to his schedule. In the beginning of the book, I thought he would lead a pretty boring, disciplined life (boy, was I wrong.) As he travels around the world, I began to see his acts of kindness, things like rescuing Aouda and paying to bail Passepartout out of jail. Another characteristic that comes up alot is how calm Phileas Fogg is. Whenever there is a fork in the road or some trouble that pops up, he remains calm. One quote that I think describes him well is the quote by Passepartout "His master's idea charmed him; he perceived a heart, a soul, under that icy exterior. He began to love Phileas Fogg." I think that first impressions are often incorrect For example, my first impression, that Phileas Fogg was just a robot who went about his day with precise times and sometimes came off as 'cold' was mistaken. However, like Passepartout, throughout the book, I began to see the real picture of Phileas Fogg.

No comments:

Post a Comment