Instructions

Hello Seventh Period!

For your ORB written assignment, I am requiring you to make three postings about your ORB to this blog. You must choose three different options from the "blogging options" handout (on First Class). I am looking for superb commentary, which should make obvious why your ORB "educates your conscience."

Please, adhere to the expectations explained on the rubric (also on First Class).

Happy blogging!

Friday, March 12, 2010

A Separate Peace-Theme

Olivia Winton

Theme

One of the several themes of the book is jealousy. The whole time, Gene is jealous of Finny’s natural athletic ability and he wishes he could do the same. Gene is purely academic and has little ability to do athletics. “ I was beginning to see that Phineas could get away with anything. I couldn’t help envying him that a little, which was perfectly normal. There was no harm in envying your best friend” (25). Gene is also insecure about what he can do. He doesn’t believe that he is as good at school as Finny tells him he is. I can be jealous of people sometimes, but it is never long lasting like Gene’s jealousy of Finny. It’s usually something about a certain thing they have that I want, or something they did that I should have done, it is never of being a whole new type of person. I like who I am, but I do get jealous and Gene needs a major boost in self-confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment